Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Birthday Shenanigans

To start things out I will just say that my birthday was incredible this year. As a newly married seminary wife who is working almost every day I didn't see much of a celebration in store for the Smith residence. Birthdays are a big deal to me. Not just my birthday, but any birthday. I enjoy celebrating and I especially enjoy celebrating people. There is something quite dignifying and a little foretaste of glory in birthdays. Okay so cut to the chase...

Wednesday I was off work, but had a doctor appointment in the morning and had to get my license/license plates. It was not looking like an eventful day whatsoever. The night before my crafty husband simply said be home by 12 if you can tomorrow. Done! When I met Cam back at the house he told me put on clothes you'll be comfortable walking around in outside and something to get wet in. I blindly follow my instructions -- I love surprises. We headed out on our birthday adventure... first stop Target (my favorite store). Cam walked me to the back and told me to pick out a cooler for us which for anyone else would be a pretty mundane task, but I love picnic/to-go things. After Target we walked across the street to Trader Joes where I was told to pick all the snacks I wanted. AMAZING! So we were off and my direction skills or lack there of helped the surprise stay a surprise until.... We pulled off the interstate and Cam asked motioning to my right, do you know what that is? I looked and said oh it's six flags, not thinking anything of it. As we drove a little longer I soon found out that was our final destination. A full day spent being a little kid with my best friend and I was one happy and celebrated girl.

A few of my snacks

Still waiting in anticipation -- Cam with his mouth full :)

The next day was my actual birthday. It wasn't until I sat in the chair with a little boy who was terrified of getting his teeth brushed that my coworkers found out. The only song he seemed to know was happy birthday so I asked him to sing it to me for my birthday. Turns out singing distracts kids... huh. I love my job so no complaints of working on my birthday. After I met a good friend, Ally for Starbucks. There's nothing like a good cup of coffee with a good friend. 

Friday rolled around and my mama came into town. What a blast! For the entire weekend Cam and I were able to sort of introduce mama to our new lifestyle. It wasn't until she left that I kinda reflected on the small comments she would make here and there about seeing us do "married things". I hope I learn to treasure those moments that make me stop and reflect on what God is doing now not always tomorrow. Mama of course spoiled us with cake, dinner, groceries galore, target decorations, new tervis tumblers, and a sense of humor that Cam and I truly value.

So ends the birthday celebrations... until next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment