Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Healthy Team Smith

This week has been quite eventful for Cam and me. I wish I could say it was because we explored the city, enjoyed the park, and socialized with friends.... but alas that just isn't the case. This week Cam and I are truly thankful for our health. It's not until you are sick as a dog that you really take for granted waking up every day and being able to function.

After working at the pediatric dentist office for 3 months now, I finally caught my first bug from the little kids...and brought it home with me. As much as I want to say it was absolutely pointless I know now that's not the case. Not only was it humbling and a first experience to be seen hugging a toilet, but we were also completely dependent upon each other. Both Cam and I took turns caring for each other and putting aside everything.

When we were going through pre-marital counseling some of the best advice we got was to remember that we are now "Team Smith". We're not fighting against each other -- whether in competing personalities, complicated decisions, or even practically in how we spend our time. We have run into the theoretical aspect of dealing with our different gifts and weaknesses as they some times come into conflict, but never with surprising life events. This week I watched my husband clean up after me, pick me up off the ground, go to the store for me, lay beside me, and do absolutely nothing except to make sure I was being nursed back to health. He was completely selfless and cared for me in the surprising event of the stomach flu. He really stepped up to the plate for "Team Smith".

A gift from our wedding that sits at the entrance to our apartment

I know the book shelves are empty -- it's new :)

No comments:

Post a Comment